This endorsement is required for driving a school bus. To receive this endorsement, applicants must pass a test. The test consists of 20 multiple choice questions. To pass, the applicant must answer at least 16 questions correctly. Each question has three possible answer choices. Test questions come from the Rhode Island Commercial Driver License Manual. Questions come from chapters covering School Buses, Pre-Trip Vehicle Inspection Test, Basic Vehicle Control Skills Test and On-Road Driving. The School Bus endorsement can be used with the Class A, B or C CDL.
1. Before a trip, you should make sure that:
When checking your vehicle's pedals during a pre-trip inspection, you should ensure that there is nothing under or around the pedals that will obstruct their use. Make sure the pedals are in proper working condition and that the surfaces of the pedals are grooved, if applicable.
2. When exiting a vehicle, a driver should:
When exiting your vehicle during the basic vehicle control skills test, you must face the vehicle and maintain three points of contact at all times. If your testing vehicle is a bus, you must maintain contact with the handrail. Exiting the vehicle incorrectly may result in automatic failure of the basic vehicle control skills test.
3. When boarding a school bus, students should:
Students should board a school bus slowly and in a single-file line. For safety, boarding students should use the handrail.
4. During a basic vehicle control skills test, a look is when:
A driver uses a look when they open their door, leave their seated position, and walk to the back of the vehicle to check its position. During the straight line backing exercise, a driver may not exceed one look. During any other exercise, a driver may not exceed two looks.
5. When students are being picked up by a school bus:
School bus drivers may only pick up students at official stops designated by authorized school officials.
6. When approaching a school bus stop, the bus driver should:
A school bus driver should always approach bus stops slowly and cautiously.
7. At a passive railroad crossing, the decision to proceed:
Railroad crossings that do not have any kind of traffic control device are known as passive crossings. The decision to proceed across tracks at a passive crossing is entirely up to the driver.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) by passing the Rhode Island CDL knowledge test and skills test.
2. Complete the required training for a Passenger Endorsement. You can take a commercial driver training course at an approved school or through a company that provides training.
3. Schedule an appointment with the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to take the Passenger Endorsement test. You will need to bring your CDL, proof of citizenship or legal presence, and proof of residency.
4. Pass the Passenger Endorsement test, which will include questions about driving a bus, managing passengers, and safety regulations.
5. Pay the required fee for the endorsement and wait for it to be added to your CDL.
It is important to note that you must already have a CDL before you can obtain a Bus endorsement in Rhode Island. Additionally, you may also need to pass a medical examination and meet other requirements, such as having a clean driving record.
1. Be at least 18 years old to drive within the state of Rhode Island, or 21 years old to drive across state lines or transport hazardous materials.
2. Hold a valid Rhode Island driver's license.
3. Have a clean driving record with no serious traffic violations or DUI convictions.
4. Pass a medical examination and obtain a medical certificate from a certified medical examiner to prove that you are physically qualified to operate a commercial vehicle.
5. Pass the CDL knowledge test and skills test for the type of vehicle you want to drive, including a passenger endorsement for driving a bus.
6. Provide proof of citizenship or legal presence in the United States and proof of residency in Rhode Island.
7. Pay the required fees for obtaining your CDL Bus license.
It is important to note that additional requirements may apply depending on the type of bus you want to drive and whether you will be transporting passengers or hazardous materials. It is recommended that you contact the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles for specific details on the requirements for obtaining a CDL Bus license.
The training should cover topics such as:
1. Vehicle inspection
2. Basic control skills
3. Shifting techniques
4. Safe driving practices
5. Pre-trip inspection procedures
6. Loading and unloading passengers
You can take the training course at an approved school or through a company that provides training. It is recommended that you choose a reputable training provider that is certified by the Professional Truck Driving Institute (PTDI) or the National Association of Publicly Funded Truck Driving Schools (NAPFTDS).
After completing the required training, you will need to pass the Passenger Endorsement test, which will include questions about driving a bus, managing passengers, and safety regulations.
Keep in mind that additional requirements may apply depending on the type of bus you want to drive and whether you will be transporting passengers or hazardous materials. It is recommended that you contact the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles for specific details on the requirements for obtaining a CDL Bus endorsement.
1. Class B CDL: This license allows you to drive a single vehicle with a weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, or a combination of vehicles with a weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more if towing a vehicle weighing 10,000 pounds or less. This license also allows you to transport up to 15 passengers, including the driver.
2. Class C CDL: This license allows you to drive a single vehicle with a weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds and transport up to 15 passengers, including the driver.
To transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, you will need a Passenger Endorsement on your CDL. The Passenger Endorsement is required for all types of CDLs.
It is important to note that additional endorsements may be required depending on the type of bus you want to drive and the cargo you will be transporting. For example, if you will be transporting hazardous materials, you will need a Hazardous Materials Endorsement on your CDL.
It is recommended that you contact the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles for specific details on the types of CDL Bus licenses and endorsements available and their requirements.
For the CDL Bus driving test, you will need to provide a bus that meets the following requirements:
1. The bus must have a seating capacity of at least 16 passengers, including the driver.
2. The bus must be equipped with safety features such as emergency exits, seat belts, and mirrors.
3. The bus must have current registration and insurance.
You may be able to rent a bus from a commercial driving school or from a company that provides CDL training. It is important to make sure that the rental bus meets all of the requirements set by the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles.
Before taking the CDL Bus driving test, you will also need to pass a pre-trip inspection test and a written knowledge test. These tests can be taken at any Rhode Island DMV branch office.
1. Pre-trip inspection: You will need to perform a thorough inspection of your bus to ensure that it is safe to operate. You will need to identify and explain the purpose of various components of the bus such as the emergency exits, brakes, lights, mirrors, and steering system.
2. Basic vehicle control skills test: You will need to demonstrate your ability to control the bus in various situations. This includes backing up in a straight line, making a turn around a corner, and maneuvering through a serpentine course.
3. On-road driving test: You will need to demonstrate your ability to safely operate the bus on public roads. This includes obeying traffic laws, making lane changes, merging onto highways, and navigating through intersections.
During the driving test, you will be evaluated on your ability to follow instructions, properly use signals and mirrors, maintain proper speed and distance from other vehicles, and make safe decisions while driving.
It is important to practice these skills and maneuvers before taking the CDL Bus driving test. You may want to consider enrolling in a commercial driving school or CDL training program to help you prepare for the test.
1. Medical certification: You will need to obtain a medical certificate from a certified medical examiner. The certificate must be renewed every two years, or more frequently if required by the medical examiner.
2. Vision requirements: You must have at least 20/40 vision with or without corrective lenses, and a field of vision of at least 70 degrees in each eye.
3. Hearing requirements: You must be able to hear a forced whisper at a distance of at least five feet, with or without hearing aids.
4. Blood pressure: Your blood pressure must be below 160/100. If your blood pressure is between 140/90 and 159/99, you may be eligible for a one-time certification for up to one year.
5. Diabetes: If you have diabetes, you will need to provide documentation from your treating physician indicating that your diabetes is under control.
6. Other medical conditions: You may be disqualified from obtaining a CDL Bus endorsement if you have certain medical conditions such as epilepsy, heart disease, or sleep apnea.
It is important to disclose any medical conditions or medications you are taking to the certified medical examiner during your physical examination. Failure to disclose this information could result in disqualification from obtaining a CDL Bus endorsement.
It is illegal to transport passengers in a bus without the proper endorsement on your CDL license. You could face fines, penalties, and even criminal charges for operating a bus without the required endorsement.
If you are caught transporting passengers without a CDL Bus endorsement, you could also face serious consequences such as losing your driving privileges or being disqualified from obtaining a CDL in the future.
Therefore, it is important that you obtain the proper endorsement on your CDL license before operating a bus that is designed to transport 16 or more passengers in Rhode Island.
1. Obtain a Commercial Driver License Application from the Rhode Island DMV. You can download the form from the DMV website or pick up a copy at a DMV office.
2. Complete Section A of the application, which is the Personal Information section.
3. Check the box indicating that you want to add a Bus endorsement to your CDL license.
4. Provide proof of your identity, residency, and social security number.
5. Provide valid medical certification from a certified medical examiner indicating that you meet the physical requirements for a CDL Bus endorsement.
6. Pay the required fee for adding the Bus endorsement to your CDL license.
7. Pass the required knowledge and skills tests for the Bus endorsement.
Once you have completed all of these steps and passed the required tests, your CDL license will be updated to include the Bus endorsement. You will not need to apply for a new license, but your updated license will reflect that you are authorized to operate a bus designed to transport 16 or more passengers in Rhode Island.
1. Passenger limits: Drivers with a CDL Bus endorsement are only allowed to operate buses that are designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver.
2. School buses: If you have a CDL Bus endorsement and want to operate a school bus, you must also have an S endorsement (School Bus endorsement) on your CDL license.
3. Age requirement: To obtain a CDL Bus endorsement in Rhode Island, you must be at least 21 years old.
4. Medical certification: Drivers with a CDL Bus endorsement must undergo regular medical examinations and obtain medical certification from a certified medical examiner.
5. Hours of service: Like all commercial drivers, drivers with a CDL Bus endorsement must comply with federal hours-of-service regulations, which limit the number of hours they can drive and require them to take regular rest breaks.
It is important to be aware of these restrictions and limitations if you have a CDL Bus endorsement in Rhode Island, as violating them could result in fines, penalties, or even the suspension or revocation of your CDL license.