Knowledge Test Class A
This license is required for driving any legal combination of vehicles, with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of a trailer exceeds 10,000 pounds To receive this license, applicants must pass a 50-question test. To pass, applicants must answer 40 questions correctly. Each question has three possible answer choices. Test questions come from the Iowa Commercial Driver License Manual. Questions come from chapters covering: Introduction, Driving Safely, Transporting Cargo Safely, Air Brakes (if applicable), Combination, Doubles and Hazardous Materials. Endorsements that may be used with a Class A CDL are: Hazardous materials, Tank, Passenger, HazMat and Tank, Air Brakes and School bus.
Number of Question
1. When loading cargo, it is important to:
It is a driver's responsibility to make sure their vehicle is not overloaded. They must be aware of legal weight limits and the maximum weight that their vehicle is rated to carry, including the weight capacity rating of the suspension system.
2. Most heavy vehicles use the ____ method when changing gears.
Most heavy vehicles with unsynchronized manual transmissions require double clutching to change gears.
3. A truck should be parked:
Because you can't see everything behind you, backing is always dangerous and should be avoided whenever possible. Choose parking spaces from which you can pull forward when you leave.
4. If you’re not sure what to do to extinguish a fire in your vehicle, you should:
If you are not sure which kind of extinguisher should be used on a fire in your vehicle, particularly a hazardous materials fire, you should wait for the firefighters to arrive and allow them to extinguish it.
5. The leakage rate for a single vehicle with air brakes should be no more than ____ in one minute during a static leakage test.
When performing a static leakage test on a single vehicle with air brakes, the leakage rate should be no more than 2 psi in a minute. If the air leaks from the air brake system at a quicker rate, the vehicle should not be driven because something likely needs to be repaired.
6. Causing a fatality through negligent operation of a CMV will result in the loss of your CDL for a minimum of:
A first conviction of causing a fatality through negligent operation of a CMV will result in the loss of your CDL for at least one year.
7. An Individual Vehicle Distance Record (IVDR) does not need to include which of the following?