This endorsement is required to haul any liquid or gaseous materials in a tank or tanks having a capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or chassis. To receive this endorsement, applicants must pass a test. The test consists of 20 multiple choice questions. Each question has three possible answer choices. To pass, the applicant must answer at least 16 questions correctly. Test questions come from the Rhode Island Commercial Driver License Manual. Questions come from chapters covering: Driving Safely, Tank Vehicles, Hazardous Materials and Combination Vehicles. The Tank endorsement can be used with the Class A, B or C CDL.
Number of Question
1. What is a bobtail tractor?
Tractors without semi-trailers are referred to as "bobtail tractors." Bobtail tractors are difficult to operate and drivers must exercise caution.
2. If approaching a vehicle with a distracted driver, you should:
If you see a distracted driver, give them plenty of space and maintain a safe following distance.
3. Which of the following is acceptable if found during a pre-trip inspection?
When inspecting your tires, verify that there is at least 4/32 of an inch of tread depth in every major groove on the front tires, and tread depth of at least 2/32 of an inch on the other tires. Tires on the same vehicle should all be the same size.
4. A material’s hazard class reflects:
A hazardous material will be placed into one of nine classes to explain the type of risks associated with the material.
5. When entering a curve, you should:
You should always slow down to a safe speed and shift into a lower gear before entering a curve.
6. All trailers made after ____ must be equipped with Anti-Lock Braking Systems (ABS).
All trailers and converter dollies manufactured on or after March 1, 1998 must have Anti-Lock Braking Systems (ABS).
7. If you’re unfamiliar with the area in which you must back up, you should: