2023 Iowa Permit Test
The following questions are from real DMV written tests. These are some of the actual permit questions you will face in Iowa. Each permit practice test question has three answer choices. Select one answer for each question and select "grade this section." You can find this button at the bottom of the drivers license quiz. For a complete list of questions and answers for Iowa please visit https://cheat-sheets.dmv-written-test.com/en/iowa/car.
Number of Tests
Number of Question
1. You want to back out of your driveway. You see children playing nearby. Before you start to move your car, you should:
When you back up a vehicle, look through your back window for pedestrians and other obstacles. Do not rely only on your mirrors, especially when children are near. Before you back into or out of a driveway, get out of the vehicle and check behind your vehicle.
2. Which of the following statements is true?
If the weather changes suddenly, you will need to adjust your driving to adapt. Always slow down when driving in rainy or foggy conditions. Be especially aware of vehicles behind you that may be going too fast for conditions.
3. What are the colors of warning signs indicating upcoming hazards?
Warning signs that indicate approaching hazards are usually yellow with black lettering or symbols. Warning signs in work zones are orange with black lettering or symbols.
4. This sign means:
Warning signs are usually yellow with black markings. They alert you to conditions that are immediately ahead. This sign warns that the roadway is slippery when wet.
5. A red arrow pointing to the right on a traffic light means you may:
A red arrow means "stop." You must remain stopped until a green light or green arrow appears. Do not turn against a red arrow.
6. Roads with double solid yellow line markings down the center indicate that passing is:
A double solid yellow line down the center of a road indicates that traffic is moving in opposite directions and that passing is not allowed from either direction.
7. Which of the following is most likely to be slippery in cold weather after snow or rain?
On cold, wet days, shaded spots on a roadway can become icy. Shaded areas often freeze before, and thaw out after, the rest of a road.
8. When approaching a police car, tow truck, or utility vehicle that is parked along the road while displaying its flashing lights, what should you do?