This endorsement is required for driving a school bus. To receive this endorsement, applicants must pass a test. The test consists of 20 multiple choice questions. To pass, the applicant must answer at least 16 questions correctly. Test questions come from the Illinois Commercial Driver’s License Study Guide. Questions come from chapters covering: Passengers, School Buses, Pre-Trip Vehicle Inspection Test, Basic Vehicle Control Skills Test and On-Road Driving. The School Bus endorsement can be used with the Class A, B or C CDL.
Number of Question
1. When stopping to pick up students, a bus driver should:
When stopping to pick up students, a school bus should be put in park. If the transmission does not have a park shift point, the vehicle should instead be placed in neutral.
2. The loading of a school bus:
More students are killed each year during loading or unloading of school buses than while riding on school buses. Therefore, it is critical that school bus drivers follow appropriate safety procedures during loading and unloading.
3. When conducting a vehicle inspection, you must show each of the following, except:
When checking the oil pressure gauge as part of a vehicle inspection test, you must ensure that it is working. The gauge should show increasing or normal oil pressure, or the oil pressure warning light should turn off. If equipped with one, the oil temperature gauge should begin a gradual rise to the normal operating range.
4. What happens if a driver exceeds the number of permitted looks during any particular exercise?
During the basic vehicle control skills test exercises, a driver may leave their seated position and check the positioning of their vehicle. Using such a look more than two times during any exercise (except the straight line backing exercise) will result in an automatic failure of the skills test. Using such a look more than once during the straight line backing exercise will result in automatic failure.
5. If asked to sight-side back your vehicle into an alley, you should first:
If you are asked to alley dock, you should first pull past the alley and stop your vehicle in a position that is parallel to the outer boundary. From there, you should back your vehicle entirely into the alley parking area. Your vehicle should be parked in a straight position within the boundaries of the parking space.
6. What should properly adjusted outside side flat mirrors on a school bus allow the driver to see?
When properly adjusted, the outside side flat mirrors on a school bus should allow the driver to see along the sides of the bus; the rear tires touching the ground; and 200 feet behind the bus.
7. During exercises that are not the straight line backing exercise, you may exit your vehicle to check its position no more than: