New Hampshire DMV Handbook and Regulations FAQ

Anyone preparing to apply for their New Hampshire driver’s privileges is strongly advised to pick up a copy of the New Hampshire Driver’s Handbook at their earliest convenience and study it extensively. However, you may also wish to read over the following FAQ to gain a better idea of what you can expect from the application and learning process on the whole.
How old do I need to be before I can apply for my New Hampshire driver’s license?
In New Hampshire, you need to be a minimum of 16 years of age before you qualify for a driver’s license. You also need to have successfully completed a state-approved driver’s education program, either through your school or a certified third party.
What documents do I need to bring with me to the DMV when I arrive to complete the application process?
As is the case in all U.S. states, you should be prepared to present state-recognized copies of important documents when you arrive at the DMV field office to apply for your license. In New Hampshire, you will need.
  • Two state-approved forms of identification.< /li>
  • Proof of residency in the state of New Hampshire< /li>
  • A completed driver’s license application< /li>
If you are under the age of 18, you will need some additional items as well.
  • A completed Driver Education Completion Certificate.< /li>
  • A completed Driver’s Out-of-Class Log Sheet< /li>
  • A Parent or Guardian Authorisation Certificate< /li>
Will I need to pass a physical in order to get my New Hampshire driver’s license?
No. New Hampshire law does not require you to pass a physical before you can be granted driver’s privileges. However, you will need to prove your vision is road-safe by passing a vision test. The vision test will be administered at the time you arrive to apply for your learner’s permit.
How do learner’s permits work in the state of New Hampshire? What do I do to apply for one?
Unlike many other U.S. states, New Hampshire does not issue learner’s permits. Once you are 15 ½ years of age, you are allowed to start driving on a supervised basis with another licensed driver that is 25 years of age or older. Once you feel you’re ready to apply for your driver’s privileges, you simply make arrangements at the DMV to do so
  • Bring your required documents as specified above to your nearest DMV field office.
  • Take (and pass) the required written knowledge test.
  • Take (and pass) the required vision test.
  • Make an appointment to take a road test.
  • If you’re under 18, bring proof of your completed driver’s education course and your 40 hours of hands-on supervised driver’s training.
I’m new to New Hampshire. How do I go about having my driving privileges transferred from out of state?
If you’ve recently moved to New Hampshire (or are planning on doing so in the near future) you have 60 days to relinquish your existing license from out of state and start the process of obtaining a New Hampshire license instead. Here’s what you need to know about that process.
  • Start by visiting your nearest DMV field office. Be prepared to hand over your existing license.
  • Provide the rep you speak to with a secondary proof of identity. (Your existing license is your primary proof.)
  • Provide proof of your residency in New Hampshire. The proof you provide can’t be any older than 60 days.
  • Be prepared to pass a vision exam.
  • If your existing license is expired, be prepared to pass a written knowledge test in regards to New Hampshire state road law.
  • Complete and submit the Application for Driver’s License or Non-Driver ID Card.
  • Bring $50 to cover the state’s fees in regards to new driver’s license. (You can pay using MasterCard, Visa, or American Express. You can also pay using personal checks, traveler’s checks, or money orders made out to "State of NH-DMV".
If I have to relinquish my existing license when I apply for my New Hampshire license, how will I drive?
At the time of your application, you’ll receive a temporary license that will be good for up to 60 days. You can use that to legally drive while you’re waiting for your permanent license to arrive in the mail.
When I arrive to take my DMV road test, what do I need to bring with me?
The DMV will not provide you with a testing vehicle for your road test, so you’ll need to bring one with you. The vehicle in question needs to be properly titled, registered, and in line with all state regulations in every way. You’ll also need to show proof of all of these things, so you’ll need to arrive for your appointment with all of the proper papers in hand. You should also – of course – have a licensed driver bring you to the field office.
What happens if I fail my road test? What then?
If you do happen to fail your New Hampshire road test, you will need to wait 10 calendar days to take it again. You will need to notify the DMV within a period of 24 hours if you need to reschedule your exam for any reason. If you fail to notify the DMV, you will need to wait 30 days for your next chance to retake your test.
What is a New Hampshire youth operator license?
While New Hampshire does not issue learner’s permits (as specified above), it does issue youth operator licenses that differ from adult licenses that come with full privileges. Youth operator licenses are for drivers younger than 21 years old. The main difference between youth licenses and adult licenses is that your license can be suspended for moving violations. How long a given suspension lasts depends on how many offenses you have on your record.
  • 1st offense results in 20 days.
  • 2nd offense results in 45 days.
  • 3rd offense (and any subsequent offenses) results in 90 days.
Your youth operator license expires automatically when you turn 21. When you go to apply for your license renewal, you will automatically receive your normal Class D license.
Our Latest Videos
Ace Your DMV Written Test
Get your Cheat Sheet Now!