This endorsement is required to haul hazardous materials as defined in Title 49, CFR, §383.5. To receive this endorsement, drivers must also pass a Transportation Security Administration background check. To receive this endorsement, applicants must pass a test. The test consists of 30 multiple choice questions. To pass, the applicant must answer at least 24 questions correctly. Each question has four possible answer choices. Test questions come from the Colorado Commercial Driver License Manual. Questions come from the chapter covering: Hazardous Materials. The Hazardous Materials endorsement can be used with Class A, B and C CDL.
Number of Question
1. When a driver is not in their vehicle, hazardous materials' shipping papers should be:
Shipping papers for hazardous materials should always be easily accessible. When a driver is not in their vehicle, hazardous materials' shipping papers should be left on the driver's seat.
2. If the words "Inhalation Hazard" appear on a package, a ____ placard must be used.
If the words "Inhalation Hazard" appear on a package or its shipping paper, the "Poison Inhalation Hazard" or "Poison Gas" placards, as appropriate, must be displayed.
3. What should be done if the third column of the Hazardous Materials Table contains the word “Forbidden?”
The third column of the Hazardous Materials Table lists items' hazard classes and divisions. Drivers should never transport a material that is marked by the word "Forbidden."
4. A person who is watching the loading or unloading of a tank must do all of the following, except:
The person in charge of loading or unloading a hazardous materials cargo tank must ensure that a qualified person is always supervising the process. The supervisor must be alert; have a clear view of the tank; be within 25 feet of the tank; know the hazards of the involved materials; know the procedures to follow in the case of an emergency; and be authorized to and capable of moving the tank.
5. Many products classed as poison are also:
Many products classed as poison are also flammable. Take the appropriate precautions if you think your cargo may be flammable.
6. A driver must take the HazMat knowledge test: